You may be searching for healthy natural skincare options. If you are you have probably found that many of the options available contain Shea butter or coconut oil. Both options are great but which one is the best? What is the difference between these two natural ingredients and which one is actually the best or are they the same?
First let's look at the similarities:
- Both Shea butter and coconut oil are excellent moisturizers. Both ingredients are emollients so they smooth skin and help our skin retain moisture. They are both effective treatments for skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Both ingredients are anti-microbial (anti-bacterial, anti-fungal) so they are good for using on fungus infections.
- They both penetrate and hydrate hair better than other oils.
Now let's look at the differences:
- Shea butter is anti-inflammatory. Shea butter greatly improves the look of under eye bags and improves the appearance of your skin and helps repair damaged skin.
- Coconut oil is full of healthy fatty acids and has been linked to increases in HDL (good) cholesterol and improved cholesterol ratios.Shea butter is often the base ingredient for sunblock and tanning lotions.
- Shea butter is a naturally protects the skin from the damaging effects of U rays. It can be used as sunblock because it contains Cinammic Acid. This compound is what gives Shea butter it's protective qualities.
- Shea butter helps heal abrasions and wounds.
- Shea butter is classified as noncomedogenic. The term comedogenic refers to ingredients or products that has a high likelihood to block pores and promote comedones (acne). Shea butter is classified as noncomedogenic because it is extremely similar to the natural moisturizers in sebum. Because of this the body absorbs and does not clog pores. Conversely, coconut oil has been found to clog pores as it is comedogenic. The term comedogenic refers to ingredients or products that has a high likelihood to block pores and promote comedones (acne). Consistent use of coconut oil for acne can actually worsens the breakout.
Whats the verdict?
While both Shea butter and coconut oil are powerful moisturizers Shea butter proves to be the better ingredient. Shea butter works well across all skin types and has exceptional moisturizing power.
What should you buy?
Look for organic Shea butter that is completely raw and unrefined. The process of refinement destroys much of the compounds that provide the wonderful health benefits of Shea butter. The color of the Shea butter can vary depending on the region in which it was cultivated. Make sure that the product you purchase comes directly from Africa. Shea butter cultivated in Europe or the United States are of lesser quality and contain chemicals.
Here at Fra Fra's Naturals we only sell unprocessed, organic, raw, grade A Shea butter. Our Shea butter is sourced in Ghana and shipped directly to us. With any purchase of our Shea butter we will provide you with a comprehensive recipe eBook so that you can make the most of your purchase!
PLACE YOUR ORDER FOR ALL NATURAL ORGANIC, RAW, UNREFINED SHEA BUTTER NOW
YOUR SKIN WILL THANK YOU!